Thursday, March 09, 2006

Happy Womens Day....


First off, let me wish all the ladies a Very Happy Womens Day.

Now, considering the huge amount of blog-space used over the past few days on harassment, to commemorate Women’s Day (The Blank Noise Project), I’ve decided to add my thoughts to the same.

About the men who “check-out” women, as a guy I think it would definitely be pretty hypocritical to abuse them, as I myself have definitely done the same pretty regularly. Now, coming to the types, who go beyond mere looking, guess there cannot be really two different opinions about what they deserve. In my opinion, public lynching seems a mild punishment.

Honestly speaking, even I was really shocked about the extent of these happenings, in spite of having a couple of sisters and traveling with them pretty regularly. I have noticed times when people were staring weirdly, but most times just glaring at them or stepping in between is enough to ensure that they get the message that the girl is not alone. Of course, this would not help much if a girl is actually traveling alone, as most of us are not really the sorts who step in to prevent this happening to strange women. There have been very few cases where I myself have stepped in, only if the woman seems really bothered and the freak looks like he’s planning on more than just looking. Even in these cases, I’ve never abused or spoken to these people, but ensured that they stay clear.

As a lot of bloggers have already mentioned, the Blank Noise Project won’t really eradicate this. I would even go so far as to say that even the impact will be minimal, but what the heck, it’s a start.

Some of the stories of girls using knives and their voices really makes me look-up to them Especially considering that they’ve grown up with this (really sickening) disease, further conditioned by society not to make a fuss, but still have the guts to stand up and fight back. Kudos to them and may their tribe increase…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

is this an effort to impress the women of the feminist clan (some of whom you seem to have taken a fancy to) OR
Is this in aid of your illegitimate daughters in Baramati!
WOMEN READ INTO THIS....